World's First Chat Operating System
Flock, the #1 Team Messenger invites you to experience the power of the FlockOS - the World’s First Chat Operating System - through our series of ‘Flockathons’. App developers can build incredibly powerful apps, bots, and integrations on top of FlockOS. So, get your thinking hats on, and come up with innovative solutions to push the frontiers of team productivity.
Keep watching this space for details of upcoming Flockathons. You can also follow us on Twitter at @flock_os
Online Flockathon (in association with HackerEarth)
Contest ends in days
|Submission Dates: 6th - 22nd January 2017|
|Team Size: 1 - 3 members|
|Prizes:||★ Rs 100,000|
|★ Rs 75,000|
|★ Rs 50,000|
Offline Flockathon (in association with Venturesity)
Contest starts in days
|Location: Directiplex, Mumbai|
|Hackathon dates: 4th -5th Feb 2017|
|Team Size: 1 - 3 members|
|Prizes:||★ Rs 75,000|
|★ Rs 50,000|
Get notified about all Flockathons
Stay tuned! May the code be with you.
Step 1: Watch the videos
Step 2: Get Flock for your team
- Download and install Flock from https://flock.co
- Create a team for you and your team mates
- Make sure you install both the Desktop & Mobile clients
- Invite your teammates to your Flock team
Step 3: Register for this Flockathon
- Join the Flockathon team to receive updates and important information
- Register for the Flockathon at the appropriate link
Step 4: Check out the API Docs
Step 5: Register your app
- Login to the Flock dev dashboard at https://dev.flock.co
- Register your app (The Dev Dashboard link is whitelisted for all shortlisted participants)
Step 6: Decide what you want to build
FlockOS - the World’s first Chat Operating System - is the ultra-powerful platform on which one can build apps and integrations within Flock. Apps are a first class citizen in Flock. With FlockOS, your apps can:
- Send Messages and Attachments to Flock groups and users. For example, the GitHub app sends configurable notifications to any Flock Group. The Todo app notifies your group whenever a task is completed.
- Configure a Bot to send directed messages to users like the Reminder bot, which sends a reminder message at a scheduled time.
- Add an Attachment Picker to the Attachment Picker bar. For example, the Poll app adds a button to the Attachment bar that allows a user to create and send opinion polls in Flock
- Add a Chat Tab Button to the Chat tab bar. The Todo app adds a button to the Chat tab bar, which pops up the sidebar widget and shows the various tasks of the team.
- Add Widgets to Flock desktop and mobile clients. These include the modal widget, the sidebar widget and the attachment widget. Apps such as the Poll app, Todo app and others use these widgets to provide an amazing GUI for their apps
- Setup Slash Command to receive commands from the user. For example, the /video slash command creates a video conference room and displays its URL in the group
- Setup your Launcher Button. For example, the ToDo app uses the App Launcher button to display a list of todos.
- Receive specific URLs to generate URL Previews. For example, the Google Drive app subscribes to all URLs that start with drive.google.com to provide a rich preview back.
Step 7: Setup your hosting
Depending on what you are building you may need to host your app on a server somewhere. We recommend using one of the below options:
- Use ngrok. Ngrok allows you to expose a web server running on your local machine to the Internet. This makes it easy to test and demo your apps from the comfort of your localhost. Also allows you to inspect and replay all traffic.
- AWS S3 + AWS API Gateway + Lambda + RDS
- Lambda lets you host your functions on Java, Python or Node.js
- API Gateway exposes those Lambda functions as an HTTP endpoint
- RDS provides a MySQL data store incase you need one
- AWS EC2 + RDS
- Incase you want your own full blown VM you can use AWS EC2 and RDS
Step 8: Final presentations
- Teams will be invited for final presentations post initial shortlisting
- Teams will be given 24 hours to complete the task and make their presentations
- Every team will be provided with food, beverages, and beanbags to sustain them through the Flockathon